Sunday, March 17, 2013

Old Sketches



In keeping with my original objective of posting some of my old work and while I'm on the subject of portraits, here are a couple of old sketches I did many years ago while I was in my early twenties. One is a sketch of Richard Burton (obviously I copied a photo) and another was of an acquaintance (old boy friend whose name I can't remember). While I was at Point Park, I used to sketch classmates before the class started, usually in profile because that was easier. One of the professors wanted me to do his portrait (I think it was a Dr. Buncher), but I had a lot of trouble getting a likeness. There were several of my classmates watching while I drew. At one point, I mentioned that I was having trouble getting his chin right and one of my classmates said,"No wonder, that's because he has two." So there may be quite a few of my portrait sketches out there if people kept them and the paper didn't disintegrate. 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent, Melanie! That's definitely him! Love the purposeful but delicate way you've captured his features. I can still hear his unique, resounding voice in my memories of him. What a gifted actor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carol. I wish I could do as well now. I have to get a ruler out and compare my proportions these days. I used to just start somewhere and draw and it all worked out somehow. Must be old age.

    ReplyDelete