Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Emma Again - Sketch



I've been planning to do another painting of my granddaughter but took a little time to re-organize my painting space. It was getting a little difficult to squeeze into the area where I paint. I had to move some stuff to the attic that my son left in that room almost ten years ago when he left for Florida in 2004. He had planned to leave the day hurricane Ivan flooded out Carnegie. Fortunately, I live on a hill, but alot of his stuff never got packed onto the truck under the circumstances. I now have more elbow room and it's less distracting when I want to paint. I also watched an art video on drawing faces and that seemed to get me started on the sketch. I hadn't enjoyed drawing as much the last few years because I couldn't wait to get to the color. But after watching the videos, I realized that I needed some practice on faces and proportions. I also don't like the way she is holding her hand in the photo and I went through dozens of photos to find her holding her hand in a more pleasant position. Here's the preliminary sketch (I'm still working on the hand.)   



2 comments:

  1. You couldn't have a better subject to work with, Melanie. She's so charming and full of life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Carol. She is definitely full of life. My son and daughter-in-law took her to Disney World this weekend and apparently she was quite the party animal and didn't want to go home. I started the painting from the sketch but I'm having a heck of a time doing this one. The first one seemed easy; I just mixed colors by instinct. This one seems harder for some reason. Maybe because it is a slightly different scale (or I just forgot what I did the first time.)

    ReplyDelete