Sunday, August 24, 2014

Beach Ballerina (version2)


 
I decided to do a little more detailed painting of Beach Ballerina on better paper (Arches 140 lb. cold pressed). As usual I didn't quit when I was ahead and tried to "improve" the tutu and I think I got it too dark. I tried to lighten it up by wetting the paper and blotting in places but I had trouble getting the white of the paper back. I then realized that I had used an Alizarin Crimson mix for the pink/purple tutu color and, if I remember correctly, that is a staining color. I also learned that if I wait a few days and let the paper dry very thoroughly, I can use a small battery powered electric eraser and lift off some color. I think I should quit at this point before I ruin it completely.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie,
    I don't think the tutu is too dark at all. I think it goes with the warmer beach colors in this version. Both ballerinas are delightful and heart-warming. I've seen so many young children like this approach the big ocean with curiosity and trepidation. They all eventually decide it's okay, but it's fun to watch them make the effort. Hope all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Carol. We just came back from a trip to visit our granddaughter again and I came back with a horrible cold. I'm still behind on my journal ideas from the last trip. Also, my nephew sent me some photos of a night seascape and I want to do that too. I also got some better photos of the carrousel this time. I need to make a list.

      Delete