Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Pair of Pansies

 
 
 
Here's another try at pansies. I thought maybe I would have better luck with a different paper so I used Arches 140 lb. hot pressed. It was a little tricky getting the paint to diffuse like it does on cold pressed but eventually I got used to it. It came out almost photorealistic with the smooth surface. Not sure if I like the hot pressed, but when I use the cold pressed again I'm going to try to be more creative and just let the watercolor paint do it's thing. I really have a hard time using my imagination and producing something more impressionistic. I find myself just reverting to my old realistic style most of the time. I probably need to take a workshop someday. 



2 comments:

  1. Melanie, you sound just like me! I've struggled with trying to get the "loose" side of me to kick it up, but often my paintings are more on the realistic style. I have found that once I have the image basically down on paper (just the outline or loose rendering, I put away the reference photo and just have at it. It has helped. I think your work is lovely. Pansies are truly delicate and beautiful things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carol for the comment and the tip. I'm still trying to tie up loose ends of remodeling projects through the summer; I thought they would be done by now since it is September already. I had planned to start painting again in September and it's half over already. I almost don't know where to begin--I've forgotten what I had planned to do next. I need to just clear a space and start somewhere!

    ReplyDelete