Friday, June 3, 2011

As Far As I Got - Sketch


My sister had some beautiful maroon roses in her yard that looked like velvet and I thought one would be nice in a still life painting. But I was trying to get some spring cleaning done at the same time and this sketch is as far as I got on this "painting." It's a good thing I took a photo because the rose wilted before I could get to the painting part.

I've also been trying to get caught up on my outside work (weeding) since we had so much rain in May. All I seem to have gotten done when we had a brief dry spell was to get the grass cut. Then it got too hot for a few days to work outside--inside, too, until we got the air conditioners in the windows. (No central air here--yet.)

I would also like to enter the latest DailyPaintworks Challenge, which is to paint something that you see out of your window. Yesterday I tried to rearrange furniture on my porch and put some flowers in pots so I have something interesting to look at and paint. Still not done with the porch and it's already June. Too much to do during the summer.

5 comments:

  1. A perfect sketch to paint, Melanie. It looks beautiful already! Now...can you bottle up some of that energy and send it my way? Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a chuckle out of your comment, AutumnLeaves. I think it sounds like I get a lot done, but I move slowly and take a lot of breaks. At some point, I will probably paint the rose, but I'm not sure which medium I want to use. I'm contemplating using oils again. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see what you can do with oils! Also love the smell. Probaably something from you painting with them when I was little. Hopefully I can make it over soon to help weed some more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas. Hope you're well and painting again really soon. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Suzanne. I'm feeling better. I don't need to take medication yet. I seem to get the afib when I have an upset stomach (throwing up). Fortunately, I don't do that too often. This was just a bad year I think. I received some new art supplies for Christmas that I need to try out soon. Thanks again for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete