Thursday, April 14, 2011

Just for practice, "Path to the Beach"

Pastel - 8" x 11"
In the last couple of days I watched two pastel demonstration videos by Deborah Secor. One was on Artists Network TV and one was on Deborah Secor's blog. The one on her blog was a demonstration using PanPastels for a landscape which was mostly clouds. She made it look so easy that I thought, " I could do that!" Ha!  Not so easy. It probably would have been a little easier if I had used the PanPastels, but I just used what I had in the way of soft pastels. Also, I used a pastel paper which didn't have a lot of tooth. For my reference I used a photo I had taken when we were in Florida that included some beautiful clouds. I changed it a little; the ocean was actually the opposite direction. I used to do pastels a lot but I'm a little out of practice. Next time I think I'll use a pastel board or something with more tooth because I do too much layering.    

4 comments:

  1. Melanie, this is truly beautiful! Reminds me a bit of Ann Nemcosky's work. Gorgeous colors in the grasses and exquisite palms. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Maybe I will try another pastel again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really wonderful, Melanie. Your blog looks great, too. I've enjoyed looking at your paintings. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Darla for your encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete