Friday, March 20, 2015

Breezy Beach






Here's another beach scene, but I'm not as happy with it as I was with "Big Clouds Over the Beach." It is smaller, 8" X 8" and done on a different texture canvas board. I did the Big Clouds painting on an older canvas board that is no longer available (Grumbacher) and it was really nice to paint on. I probably need to switch to gessoed artboard, but I have a lot of the regular Fredrix canvas panels in all sizes. I need to figure out how to make them smooth so I can use them. I'm working on that. It's a good thing I used the old canvas panel when I did Big Clouds or I might have given up on acrylics. I also need to make notes of which brushes I used for what and what colors I mixed to get the colors I got. 

3 comments:

  1. My friend makes canvas panels smooth by applying multiple layers of gesso on them and sanding in between the layers. Still love your painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Chris. I tried doing this, but I probably didn't have enough layers. I guess I have to be patient and do several coats and get some very fine sandpaper. I thought about also coating the gesso layer with medium or retarder just before I start to paint so it will be easier to blend. Lots of things to try.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the compliment too.

      Delete