Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Big Clouds Over the Beach - Acrylic 9 x 12

 
I had a difficult time getting back to doing any painting after another trip to visit my son and family over the holidays. I watched several art videos trying to get inspiration and read an art book, "Daily Painting" by Carol Marine. (recommend it). Then I cleaned up my "studio"--half of a bedroom-- and rearranged it some and put together a stand for my laptop so I could look at a photo while I painted. It took me forever to decide what to paint. I'm so far behind on all the ideas I have, but I wanted to do something new and in acrylic paints. It seemed like I had to learn how to use it all over again after I had been using watercolors and oil pastels, but I was determined to be able to use acrylic paints so they looked like oils. I think I may have gotten that result in "Big Clouds over the Beach." At least I was happier with the results since the last time I tried acrylics. The picture is a little fuzzy because the painting was a little too large for the scanner. I tried to redo it, but it is still a little fuzzy.


5 comments:

  1. Lovely painting! I enjoy acrylics too, and it is challenging to go between mediums! May I suggest trying a smoother substrate/surface if you're going for smooth, subtle oil look? Rough is great ifor acrylics if you are loading the brush and putting lots of great color on (I like loading a whole rainbow in 1 stroke). But for glazing and more edge control try painting on board maybe? This painting is fabulous! I just like hearing your thoughts and experiences...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Melle, I was just looking at your blog last night. I need to get caught up on things and make more comments myself. I had thought about going to a portrait type canvas or even using several coats of gesso to smooth out the canvas panel so there is less weave. I had an old canvas board on hand so that is what I used (in case it didn't turn out.) I do have a gessoed art board the same size and I could redo the painting on that and see what the difference is. Thanks for the suggestion. I was delighted to get your comment since I don't post too often or get many comments. I think people give up following when you don't post very often. I've been thinking of joining Daily Paint Works also, but I'm so slow I wouldn't be able to complete a painting every day. I'd be lucky if I could do one a week. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you can see I was away for quite some time...it is great getting back to it and I was happy to see you posting. Don't re-do this one; it's perfect! Just was thinking about acrylics vs. oils, etc. I like the way acrylic can stain canvas so nicely, actually. The Taj Mahal painting I did recently was acrylic on board, and it seemed to handle more like oil that way. I'm wrestling with watercolor, small sizes, and landscapes now, due to lifestyle and arm issues! I love the challenge of making art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! It is such a lovely, complex scene and you handled it masterfully. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darla for your encouraging comments. I just might have to join Daily Paintworks and see what happens! It could be interesting if I could keep at it.

      Delete